Friday, April 30, 2010

Slow but steady

It has been a couple of days since our last post. I know many of you have been anticipating, maybe even lying awake at night wondering what is happening down here.
The top pic is a demolition crew taking down the wall at the front of the compound. This wall had been built at the start of the project but was not acceptable so it had to come down and get redone. There was not enough rebar in it .A lot of the rubble ends up on the road. A few of the old blocks that were intact were scooped up by a neighbour who wanted them for her place. The strength of these blocks was not very good. The new block will go in tomorrow. While it is a national holiday in Haiti tomorrow (May 1st) our crew will be working. I think it is labour day. There are no union rules that I am aware of.

This is one of the last rebar cages we put in. This one is tied into the gate post at the front of the compound. Now that the blocks are getting close to being done we have to start thinking about the concrete cap at the top of the wall. I am doing research on how the razor wire goes on, so if anyone has any suggestions send them my way.
Here is James and a few friends who are working on an engine. It is supported by a chain hoist which is attached to a mango tree.

A pic of me by my moms request.Thanks for all the support and encouragement see you later David and James

5 comments:

  1. Yessssss, there he is, in living colour, MY BABY!!!!!! It's good to hear that you are making progress on the wall. I think I feel a sermon coming on, "Everyday we must do the work that God puts before us to do and do it in God's name." That's what you are all doing right now. Way to go, guys. Hi James. And hi to all your new friends as well. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW: How does the garden grow?? It's been about seven days since we've seen it. Is there a lot of growth since then? Has it started to rain yet?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave and James
    Just checking in with your Blob and noticed your request info on mounting barbed wire on top...wow is this for real? Is the plan to put the coil type wire on the top or just a straight lengths imbedded in the concrete along the top? I can't imagine how the coils would give the perception of a fortress or prison... which we no Haiti arise is not. Has glass shards or possibly electric cattle wire been considered. It would soften the look - but I am unsure of the effectiveness... How about a couple of nice German Sheperd ? Anyways - we are really impressed to see and read of the progress with the wall and the relationships that are developing. I am sure James will be speaking Creole before long... Great pictures - Like your Mom I would love to see or hear how the garden is growing. I am curious how the different vegetables have germinated and how they are handling the heat. Is the irrigation system being used or is it raining enough? If you find the time maybe a picture from both ends of the garden would be great. No rush... God Bless... Keep safe... Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Guys!
    It is great to hear how you are doing through the blog. Great work in keeping that up!! Nice to see the progress that you are making with the wall. You are a real blessing to Haiti Arise and the people there! We are all praying for you here and trusting that God is encouraging you through your ministry. It sure looks like He is! Love the pictures and to see your smiling faces. Keep up the great work and see you when you return!
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is true when you are the one alwasy taking the pictures you rarely end up in them . Did I read correctly that was the last of the rebar cages ? That has got to be a good feelling!! So how much moe of the wall is there to actually build? Hope to see YOu soon Love Kathy

    ReplyDelete